Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Shameless Attempt to Be a Featured Workspace on Lifehacker

I work with students on editing their writing at my desk, but it's often awkward to share the keyboard and mouse. All I want to do is show where the student needs to insert a comma or fix a typo, but it can be disruptive when we they don't understand exactly where I mean.

Also, with some students it is very difficult for them to get their ideas out when they have to write them, although they can give you perfectly clear answers verbally. So sometimes I will type the work for them while they dictate, but then the keyboard is out of their hands and they can't transition into writing for themselves.

I solved this problem by adding an Apple Wiresless Keyboard and Magic Mouse to double up. The installation was easy since both devices work on Bluetooth. The wireless keyboard is much smaller, which is nice since many of my students are so used to their laptop keyboards that they have trouble using the larger standard keyboard. The Magic Mouse has so many extra features like zooming and web browsing that its an upgrade. All of it is so small that it doesn't have to clutter my desk and I can put it all away if I ever really need the desk space.

Today we installed the same devices on the other desks in our office and the response has been good. I just finished watching a teacher and student have a typing race. It will be interesting to see how helpful this is once everyone gets used to the new devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment